All new recruits to the Fire Service become members of the Firefighters Pension Scheme 2015 which is a Career Average Revalued Earnings Scheme (CARE)
A CARE scheme pension is calculated using a portion of your Annual Pensionable Pay each year and adding this to your CARE pension pot. The portion used is 1/59.7 and each year the pot is increased by inflation (Average weekly Earnings indicator). There is also the option to convert some of your annual pension to give you a tax free lump sum.
Your benefits are based at age 60 but you can access these at 55 with reductions. For more information on the Firefighters Pension Scheme 2015 please see the section on the menu called '2015 Scheme'.
10 Benefits of Membership
- Your employer tops up your pension - something they would be unlikely to do with a personal pension.
- You get tax relief on all your contributions - even on extra payments you make to top up your benefits.
- No hidden fees or charges - you simply contribute a percentage of your pay.
- You get a guaranteed package of benefits which are backed by law.
- Protection for your loved ones - in the form of pensions for dependents if you die.
- Life cover - from the second you join.
- No medical required - unlike other forms of life insurance, it’s open to all.
- All members can take a tax free lump sum as part of their benefits package.
- Protection - in case you have to draw your benefits early through ill health.
- Your pension will go up in line with inflation, protecting you from rising prices.