From the day you start a job with your Employer, to the day when your benefits are paid, your Employer and the Pension Scheme Administering Authority need to make decisions under the Pension Scheme rules that affect you. When you are notified of a decision you should check that it is based on the correct details and that you agree with the decision.

If you are not satisfied with any decision affecting you made in relation to the Scheme, you have the right to ask for it to be looked at again under the formal complaint procedure. You also have a right to use the procedure if a decision should have been made by your Employer or Administering Authority, but it hasn't been. The complaint procedure's official name is the "Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure".

Below is a link to the guide that includes a form for you to complete -